Monday, February 2, 2009

A Tribute to The Faithful

Last weekend, I had the honor of photographing a celebration and renewal of marriage vows between a husband and wife of 50 years. They are the parents of one of my dearest friends. I love this family because, in all the time I've known them, they've never said a disagreeable word to each other. And with 6 daughters (and one son), you would think there would be plenty to be disagreeable about. The sisters have a kind of bond that I thought only existed in the movies. The passion they have for each other is transcended only by the respect and admiration they show their parents -- most especially their mother.

This is not to say they have had perfectly easy lives void of difficult decisions and world-changing events. I believe they have had plenty of both. But through it all, they continue to love and accept.

I think this, more than any ceremony or ritual, is the highest tribute to their mother -- a lady who promised her love and devotion five decades ago, and continues to honor her promise even in the winter.

Thank you with all my heart for allowing me a glimpse, and, Lord, help me never forget the finish-line.

No comments:

Post a Comment